•Contract writer, UC Davis, 2014-present.
•Write and edit marketing materials for nonprofit organizations, including colleges and universities. See client list in box.
•Senior (contract) writer, UC Davis Graduate School of Management, August 2010 - 2013.
•Wrote and edited development stories for Sacramento State, May-August 2010.
•Crab Feed committee. Secured 13 donations and sponsorships from local businesses and community
members to raise money for elementary school’s biggest annual fundraiser. Fall 2017 – Spring 2018
• PTA parent representative. Help coordinate PTA fundraising events. Fall 2017 – present
• Classroom volunteer. Volunteer in son’s classroom once weekly helping readers to increase their fluency. February 2018 – present
• Children's Bereavement Art Group, Sutter Cancer Center, Sacramento. Assist art therapist in running eight-week art therapy groups for grieving children and teenagers. May 2010 - present
• Seminars planning committee, Sacramento Press Club, 2007 - April 2011.
• Catholic Press Association's annual contest, volunteer judge, 2008-201.
•Certificate of Theological Studies, Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, CA
•MA in journalism, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
•BA in history and French minor, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA
•North County Times, Temecula, CA, Education Reporter, July 2003 – July 2004
•Inland Valley section of Los Angeles Times, Ontario, CA, City Hall and Religion Reporter, July 2000 – June 2003
•Lodi News-Sentinel, Lodi, CA, City Hall Reporter, June 1999 – June 2000
Freelance journalist, October 2005-present. Stories have appeared in local, regional and national print and electronic publications. See box at left for list.
--Bryn Mawr College
--McGeorge School of Law
--San Francisco Theological Seminary
--UC Davis Graduate School of Management
--University of the Pacific
--Shriners Hospitals for Children -- Northern California
Magazines/newspapers and websites:
--Ag Alert (CaliforniaFarm Bureau)
--The Christian Century
--East Bay Business Times
--Faith & Form
--Leader-Post (Regina, Saskatchewan)
--Los Angeles Times
--Our Sunday Visitor
--Publishers Weekly (“Religion Update” section and Religion BookLine)
--Religion News Service
--Sacramento Business Journal
--The Salt Lake Tribune
--The San Diego Union-Tribune
--Science & Spirit
--(Minneapolis-St. Paul) Star Tribune
--(Albany) Times Union
--Wild Blue Yonder magazine
•Maggie, Western Publishing Association, best series of articles/consumer, for Comstock's state water crisis series, co-written with Rich Ehisen, 2010
•Silver, Azbee, American Society of Business Publication Editors, national best feature series, magazines with a circulation under 80,000, for a three-part series on immigration I co-wrote for Comstock’s, 2009
• Maggie, Western Publishing Association, best series of articles/consumer, for Comstock's immigration series, co-written with Rich Ehisen, 2009
• Religion Newswriters Association Fellowship, “Writing with Amazing Grace,” Salt Lake City, September 2006
• Gralla Fellows Program for Religion Journalists, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA, August 2002
• Third place, best education story, Society of Professional Journalists, Inland Empire chapter, 2004
• Honorable mention, best feature story, Society of Professional Journalists, Inland Empire chapter, 2004
• Third place, best Sept. 11 news story, Society of Professional Journalists, Inland Empire chapter, 2002
• Second place, California Newspaper Publishers Association, public service category. Team coverage of train deaths, 2001
• Second place, California Newspaper Publishers Association, agriculture/environment category. Team coverage of underground water pollution in Lodi, 2001
• First place, California Newspaper Publishers Association Summer Internship Program, 1999
• Reported and wrote news and feature articles for The ASNE Reporter, a daily newspaper at the American Society of Newspaper Editors convention in San Francisco while a master’s student, 1999